If you sit at a desk most of the day you are literally sitting your life away. New studies have confirmed what doctors have been saying for years ? sitting too much is deadly.
Sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours each day and then sitting at a computer or on the couch at night is the leading cause of belly fat.
It can also cause diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer. It puts you at a higher risk for strokes and heart attacks.
To put it simply ? you need to get up.
Walk and work?
One innovative way to get your work done without sitting all day is to invest in a walking desk.
No, the desk doesn?t walk. You do.
The desk is specially designed to fit over a treadmill. You can walk at normal speeds and the desk keeps your laptop, phone, and other materials steady so that they don?t fall or move around.
So you can walk all day long while still getting your work done. These desks can be a little pricey, but there are also DIY versions for people who are handy with tools.
If you?re interested in another type of desk workout you can buy a mini-elliptical machine that fits under your desk.
You can pedal it with your feet, kind of like a bike, while you are sitting at your desk. These mini machines are easy to move around so that you can take it home with you too.…
An exercise chair
Another option for working out at your desk is an exercise ball chair.
You have probably used an exercise ball to work on your abs at the gym.
An exercise ball chair is the same type of ball you?ve used before. It just has a small seat and a back attached to it so you can sit in it.
The exercise ball chair forces you to work your core in order to stay upright. You can work your abs and destroy belly fat all day long with an exercise ball chair.
If sitting on an exercise ball all day isn?t going to work for you here are some more ways to get moving during the day:
- Take the stairs. Even if it?s just one or two floors going up and down the stairs all day long will get your blood moving and keep you healthy
- Get moving on your breaks. Take a quick walk. Or hit the gym on your lunch break when you have time to squeeze in a workout. Get some of your coworkers to workout with you.
- Get up every hour. This is important. Even if you just walk from one end of the office to the other it?s important to get out of your chair and move around.
- Do some office yoga. There are yoga sequences that are designed for people to do in an office or cube that will increase your circulation and reverse the effects of sitting for hours.
- Keep walking shoes at your desk. When you are feeling tired, burned out, or like you?re losing focus put on your walking shoes and walk around the block. Even a quick walk in the fresh air will clear your mind and get your heart pumping.